Tuesday, March 21, 2006

How Great Thou Art

I have been re-thinking a lot of things lately concerning my beliefs/relationship with God. I have come to the conclusion that I am falling out of love with Christianity and more in love with God himself. I know that sounds almost heretic, but it is not meant to be. All I am saying is that I feel like I have put God in this box of my surroundings. I have interpreted him based on what my parents and society have taught me. I want to have a living, breathing relationship with a real God. Not a myth whose foundation is based in modernism and man made ideals. I want to read the bible like a love story, not a formulaic textbook to get answers for whatever you need. I guess you could say I am falling back in love with Jesus because I am realizing that the things that turned me off before were nothing like him anyway. It seems like the church (in general) might be losing its grip on things because it refuses to admit fault and progress. I feel like we are back in the 1800’s when slavery was justified with the Bible. Or back in the crusades when people of different religions were murdered in the name of God. Maybe it’s not that extreme or apparent, but I feel we need to constantly be re-assessing ourselves, and depending on God for the answers. Not our surroundings and selfish motives. Anyway, food for thought.

No comments: